Skip to main content

Q&A: Life/AD&D and Long-Term Disability Insurance

  • A: Yes. To purchase additional life insurance for your eligible dependents you have to have the same amount of coverage or a greater amount. Optional Child Life Insurance ends on the last day of the month in which your child turns 26 years old.

  • A: Yes, you can apply for a “conversion policy” directly with the carrier within 31 days of losing your 4J life insurance.  Unlike COBRA, there are no laws requiring the employer to remind you of this option at the time your coverage ends, so it’s up to you to initiate the process.  Prices are printed on the application and are based on the amount of coverage converted as well as the age of the covered individual.  There is a small section that needs to be completed by the employer, so you can call the 4J Benefits Manager at (541) 790-7675 and request that the form be mailed to you with the employer section already completed, or you can make arrangements to pick it up to expedite the process.

  • A: The amount of time the carrier takes to evaluate your claim can vary greatly depending on the details of your disability and whether they need to request additional information from your healthcare providers.  You can call The Standard’s dedicated OEBB Customer Service Department at 866.756.8115 (TTY), from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time.